Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Too Much Monkey Buisness

Monkey Business(1952):

A comedy staring Cary Grant, Ginger Rodgers, and Marilyn Monroe(Albeit in a small role.). It's about a formula that makes you feel younger. Fairly simple plot for a fairly simple movie.

Now,when I say simple what I really mean is boring and this film is boring and a half. Now, I certainly wasn't expecting this level of mediocrity from Cary Grant, and Marilyn Monroe of all people,But it was there throughout most of the picture.

First off the humor is not funny at all. It seems they are going for slapstick comedy, when in reality it's just obnoxious rubbish the way the character's behave. Now I know kids are silly, But when Rodger's takes a swig of Fountain Of Youth Juice(That's what I'm calling it. ) she just acts dumb and like she's drunk or something and when Grant takes a drink of it he's suddenly witty(Make up your minds people.).I don't get how Grant gets fast comebacks(His comebacks are probably the only thing I liked in this film.) from the drink and Rodger's gets stupid.

Secondly, the story is really bland as most of the film has Grant trying to figure out what was put in the mixture to make it work and the other half is filled with madcap shenanigans(Now,if they went with Three Stooges type of humor it would have merit, But unfortunately they went with the type of thing you'd see in a Our Gang short and it didn't fit.). By the end of the film I was just so tired of this monotonous structure that I was tempted to stop the film early and I really wish I did.

Overall,a horrid picture and probably Grant's worst. I didn't laugh as nearly as I should for a comedy and I wasn't entertained enough for it to be a noteworthy picture. It takes the honors for the worst film I've seen so far.

No comments: